Saturday, January 22, 2011

New Chandelier!

For Christmas this year, I gave The Artist a class in “Warm” Lighting at the local community college. I’ve taken so many great classes there: Exploring England (just before we visited), Quick Books, Intro to Photoshop, using PMC, just to name a few. I thought that he should also be exposed to more of the education that the place offers than just the degree in English that he received quite a few years ago.

The Artist started the class by catching the cold that I had. But, true to himself and his work habits, he went in with a plan, remained focused, and completed a new chandelier for the living room within the two intense weeks of 9-5 class.

Plasma welding and sand blasting glass were the two main crafts used in creating what is probably really called a drum pendant light, but to us is a medieval chandelier. We plan to swing across the room like Robin Hood (or Errol Flynn) on it. Or not.

New Chandelier-final hanging

I thoroughly expected The Artist to make something that would be a prototype for an art piece in his business, but noooo, he had to replace that disgusting, ugly, hideously bright chandelier that we had (and hated) with one that looks wonderful over our round dining room table and gives off soft, glowing light, with the same wattage and number of bulbs as the other.  I love this one.

New Chandelier-it works

He did enjoy the class and met lots of people. All is not lost on the art front. He’s now doing something in wood that’s along the same lines.

And moi? What am I up to? I have a few more designs just released on Spoonflower and am starting to knit a new jacket, as soon as I can get the gauge right.

Weather has been wonderful lately. Makes me want to make lists of things to do and vigorously check them off. The moon over the last several nights has been delicious, rising just as we sit down to dinner, and waning just as I wake up. Makes you forget about all the problems that exist in the world for a few minutes.

No comments: